Wednesday, October 11, 2006

in the beginning

So here it is. Ruco has finally got up with the blogging world albeit through much prodding from my wife and friends. They must think i have something worthwhile to say but I beg to differ. I guess introductions are in order. My birthplace of Capetown can be found on the southern tip of the great continent of Africa. It clings to a mountain that overlooks the intersection of the Atlantic and the Indian ocean. Like the oceans, for centuries cultures and peoples have clashed on these shores. There I was born, a white african (ironic in itself). For most of my life my skin color was my passport. In a country made by whites for whites, I knew no apartheid only priviledge. Now it is I, that in the eye of the ignorant bear the face of apartheid. The heritage of the Afrikaner is ever present but perhaps this is the price the innocent pay for years of injustice. Scratch that... nothing can repay the injustice, all we can do is to tell the truth and reconcile. But what do I know, I have experienced no great war, seen no depression, and felt no poverty. Currently I am living in Pensacola Florida, but Africa is calling and soon.. very soon I will return. (God willing).

4 comments:

Kristi Van Der Merwe said...

Hi my love! Your blog is AWESOME!!! Cant wait to read all the posts about how awesome your wife is, how in love with her you are, and how you cant wait to whisk her away soon! hehe!

Jo said...

Um, Ruco, I think that after reading that, I might be in love with you. Crap! This makes everything VERY complicated, haha!

The Leys said...

I'm going to agree with Jo on that one, I should have my english degree revoked. Kristi's always told me how elequent you write, but geez! I hope you write more... yours is soon to be my favorite blog!

SvenJosefson said...

The slowly dying and migrating white African tribe. How does it feel?